Monday, April 15, 2013

Laughing Disease

Laughing Disease

When we get started
we just cant stop
my brother starts to smirk
I hide my head in my hands
"Stop!" my mom insists
My brother's eyes get big
start to squint
as a laugh parts his lips
I can't make mine mind
They jump out of my mouth
"Cut it out!" my dad says
we stop for less than a second
brother's eyes catch mine
his lips press tight
tries hard to swallow
hold them down with his breath
I'm doing the same across the table
we open together
dumping laughter on our plates
"Enough!" our parents scream
If we could stop we would
but we can't
this is not voluntary
it's a disease.
We recover in our rooms
eating left-over
giggles in our dreams.

sibilance- started, stop, starts, smirk, hands, stop, insists, eyes, start, squint, parts, lips, less, second, eyes, says, press, swallow, scream, same, across
personification- "They (the laughter) jump out of my mouth"
alliteration/ consonance- "make mine mind, "hide my head in my hands"








1 comment:

  1. I love the image you end with here: "eating left-over / giggles in our dreams"! You also have a central metaphor and some lovely enjambment.

    ReplyDelete